Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY: Revamping A Tired Tray

   I've taken on the task of re-doing my (smallish size) bedroom lately, & during this process have made a lot of changes to my decor & personal pieces. I hate to waste great decor items, & always love putting a new spin on seemingly tired things....but, hey, isn't that all the rage these days?
   This post is about a great little revamp I've done...that's really "oh, so" simple (& turned out to be "oh, so" inexpensive!).
I purchased this decorative tray for 70cents (during a sale) at a local thrift store (with the original tag of $15)...& already knew I wanted to redo it, as I'm no fan of the "streaky/tacky gold" sheen that was on it.
    As for my supplies...I found a cute animal print Macbeth adhesive shelf liner (sold as a double roll) at T.J.Maxx for $5.99...picked up some Martha Stewart satin acrylic paint (in Wild Blueberry) at Michaels for $1.99...& paid nothing for the black acrylic paint & sandpaper I already had hiding in my craft gear. 
    For ease, I used a small rounded brush to apply the blue paint on the inner/outer sides & a small flat brush to apply the black paint on the edges around the tray/handles.
   Even though the tray is actually a plastic composite, I used the sandpaper on it...not so much to give the paint something to stick to as to try & remove as much of the gold lacquer as I possibly could. I really only sanded the surrounding edges & the outer sides, but it made it much easier to apply the paint in fewer layers (in total, it took 2 layers of black & 3 layers of blue).
    After the paint dried (which didn't take very long), I measured out the inside of the tray & cut the adhesive shelf liner to size. When it came to application...it was a little tricky to get it completely flush at first, & I'd recommend peeling the adhesive vertically & having quite a bit of patience (take your time & start at the top 2 corners, peeling the adhesive back as you go to make readjustments easier).
And, violĂ ...a beautiful new display tray!
Looking at the math...since I only used a small portion of the shelf-liner (& that I already had most of my necessary supplies), this project came in under $5.
There are so many great uses for these things...be it displaying jewelry, cosmetics, magazines, etc. To be honest, I'm not 100% set on what I'll use it for yet, but it will definitely have a spot in my room :)

Have you decided to tackle a version of your own? I'd love to see it!
Send a picture to me at:
OneToSpare@gmail.com

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
~ Alyssa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment