Wednesday, February 27, 2013

DIY : Custom Jewelry Display

Hey lovelies!

After taking a slight "mental break" to get a few things settled, I'm back.
I know, I know...you've missed me.

Now that some of the craziness has died down, I'll be getting back to my post here at OTS.

I've finally started settling into my apartment, in terms of deciding on my "decor path." Learning more about my own personal style, & having more opportunity to actually develop it, I've really enjoyed going "outside the box" on projects to make my place "more mine." I've got a many projects I'd like to take on to help personalize my space, & I've only just begun this list.

The first of these projects is a relatively easy one...considering the fact that most of the materials used were "leftovers."  Having had the same jewelry box since I was about 16 years old, I had grown tired of it (wanting something a bit more stylish & "grown-up"). This was pretty easy to accomplish when using a simple picture frame (purchased at T.J.Maxx for $7.99). You can do this with multiple frames if you want, I only did one.

For this project you will need:
-  Picture frame(s)
-  A thinner piece of fabric, the size of the glass (with about 1.5 inches extra around each edge)
-  6 or 7 pieces of felt, measured to fit the glass (from inside the frame)
-  Scotch tape
-  3MM© Brand (Sticky) Small Hooks (like for X-mas lights)

1. The most difficult part of this project is choosing your frame & your fabric.


2.  Turn over the frame & remove the backing. Stack the felt sheets on top of each other.


3. Wrap the fabric over the felt/glass & around the back of the cardboard.
Tape into place & put piece back into frame.


4. Replace frame cover (on back). There will be some volume from the felt under the fabric.


5. Use jewelry to measure custom lengths/spacing for sticky hooks.
Finally...a custom jewelry display that goes great with your decor!



Try it out & let me know what you think.
Have you worked on anything similar?

Email me at:  OneToSpare@gmail.com

Hope you're all having a wonderful week!

xx

Alyssa







No comments:

Post a Comment